Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In the beginning...



I have always wondered what I'm doing here, on this planet. Is there a meaning? Is there a purpose? 

There are those people, you know, that say things like, " I have always known what I wanted to be. Since I can remember." I get so frustrated every time I here people say something like that. How did they know they wanted to be a doctor, painter, chef or police officer, whatever it may be?

It has always eluded me, the passion I mean. I like a lot of things in life, but it is very difficult for me to say that something is my passion or that it is my zest for life. There is that saying, "Just go with the flow." I have been going with the flow for to long, it's about time I start my own flow. This blog will follow my journey as I try and figure out what my zeal is. I will experience new interests and examine old ones. The questions are: Do I have a passion already and just don't know it? Is there a passion out there for me and I just haven't found it? 

The first thing I need to do, try to understand the definition of passion? I looked it up. 


What I think it means: It is a feeling or emotion, it is innate, it is something that drives you. Passion is derived from the Latin word passio, which means suffering. 


Now you may think, as I did, this can't be right. A passion is supposed to be a good thing. However if you really think about it, it makes sense. A person with a passion usually works hard at it, it takes up a lot of ones time and they usually will sacrifice other parts of their life for it. For example if someone always wanted to be a doctor, they will need to have great marks in high school, university and med school. Even after all that they still need to keep up to date on everything in the medical field. This means that almost ones entire life was and is dedicated to becoming and continuing to be a doctor. They must have sacrificed many things along the way to achieve the marks to get in to the schools to become a doctor, and there was probably a bit of suffering too. Now don't mistake all of this, I love doctors and appreciate them, it is just an example I'm sure we all can understand, that's why I used it. However, does this mean I'm too late?  

Romeo and Juliet were passionate about each other, which lead to their death. Jesus Christ was passionate about spreading the word of God, which led to his death. But all three of them were suppose to come back from death. I hope this journey is as interesting as theirs but doesn't end the same.

I hope this blog will motivate people who are in the same position as I am. If you have any suggestions or opinions please feel free to express them, I need all the help I can.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you find something that will make you bleed your heart and soul into it, and I can't wait to see what you discover so I can figure out my passion as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan, I came here after seeing your link posted on Facebook. For me, my passion as an artist was something that needed to be tested before it could be realized. Back in high school, it's what I loved to do and was something I excelled at. But I spent 8 years after school doing something else that I eventually discovered I didn't enjoy at all. When all was said and done, I realized that sometimes a person has to go without what they love in order to find out just how much they loved it from the start. I don't know if there is something in your life that might work in the same way, but I wouldn't believe that you lack passion. Keep on searching. It's important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, thanks for the comments. Yes it is important, I feel like I need to find something.

    I remember how awesome of an artist you were so I'm glad you found it again. Your words will stick with me through out this journey I thank you again.
    Maybe I have found it and just don't know it.

    ReplyDelete